Thursday 30 January 2014

Favourite books

I love to read.  I always have.  I need to read a bit every day.  Even if it's just for two minutes before my eyelids droop and I have to turn out my light.  Most of my favourite books however, aren't the ones I've read as an adult; and I've read many.  Don't misunderstand me, I've read some of these books tens of times I've enjoyed them so much and, I fully intend to read them again.  However, if I had to write a list of my ten favourites (I can't possibly limit it to five, or even, gasp, one!), most of the titles would be the books I read or that were read to me when I was a child.

I think this is because when I re-read Apple Pigs now, it's not my voice I'm hearing, but my mum's.  When I re-read Snow at Blackberry Farm I remember that the year I loved that book, it snowed so hard that when we were stuck at school because of a blizzard, my dad turned up with his friends and an army of four wheel drives to get us home.  When I re-read The Tiger who came to tea I think about all those times I had tea with my mum and my brother and we counted off the days till my dad came home.  And when I read The Enchanted Wood, I remember how my dad and I chose the book together and I climbed back into the car afterwards (an Austin Allegro, no less), me clutching it carefully in its brown paper bag.  This is why my childhood favourites will always be my all time favourites.  What are yours?

2 comments:

  1. I love to read too! and now that I have a little daughter we go to the library and pick out books- her current favorite is puff the magic dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to hear from you. You are my first commenter! I sing "Puff the Magic Dragon" to my son every night. It's one of our favourite songs. Perhaps I should get the book out too.

    ReplyDelete